WELCOME RAMADAN WITH DR. BASYOUNY NEHELA
“O Allah, make us reach the month of Ramadan and bless us in Ramadan.” (Ahmad)
As-salamu `Alaykuim Wa Rahmatu Allah,
“Oh people, the greatest month and blessings will soon shade you…
Congratulations on receiving the month of the Quran!
Alhamdulillah, we are about to reach the blessed month of Ramadan. Indeed, it is a great blessing from Allah that we must celebrate, take advantage of, and be among the prosperous and righteous people.
I want to encourage every brother and sister to increase his/her efforts during this great month, strive hard toward attaining that spirit, and plan for it.
Our Prophet ﷺ informed us that doing one obligatory act during the month of Ramadan will have seventy rewards, and doing one optional act will have the reward of an obligatory act. So, we must dedicate ourselves to performing all the different forms of worship during Ramadan.
Thus, we advise ourselves to do the following acts of worship at a minimum:
1. Fasting of the righteous:
2. Reciting and studying Qur’an:
- Increasing recitation of the Qur’an in Ramadan
- Studying the Qur‘an during Ramadan
- Getting together for this purpose
- Listening to the Qur‘an from someone who has preserved it better.
- That the nighttime is the best time to recite or listen to the Qur’an
3. Performing night prayer with your family and on your own:
4. Giving charity generously:
- A pledge to all opportunities / national and local organizations which we are invited to support during Ramadan.
- Also, let’s exercise the full meaning of al-sadaqah (charity) and carry it to its maximum in performing deeds such as helping others, making Da’wah, or just greeting each other with a smile, for greeting your Muslim brother with a smile is an act of charity. This exercise should be solely for the sake of Allah and without the expectation of rewards from anyone else.
5. Seeking knowledge and enhancing our religious leadership skills:
Let’s have this spirit always alive in our hearts throughout our religious leadership journey, especially during the month of Ramadan.
6. Sharing Ramadan blessings with our fellow citizens:
A neighbor in Islam includes Muslims and non-Muslims and caring about our neighbor is highly recommended in Islam. And sharing goodness with our neighbors is a must.
Based on this, we believe that caring about the souls and hearts of our neighbors is the most highly recommended act in Islam. Sharing the blessings and the happiness of such an occasion as Ramadan with our neighbors is an important act of compassion that Muslims should express towards their neighbors during this holy month.
7. Having the intention to keep the spirit of Ramadan alive continuously:
Finally, it is important to make sincere and constant supplications and to remember brothers and sisters, our Islamic institutions, and our society in your prayers.
May Allah accept us all and grant us a transformative Ramadan!
Dr. Basyouny Nehela
President, Boston Islamic Seminary