Historically, spirituality has been an integral element for the success and prosperity of human societies and thus for the common good. Therefore, the Prophets who best embody the role of spiritual caregivers have been amongst the most successful at fundamentally and positively transforming their societies. Given the great significance of spirituality in human and societal development, this course will extract the fundamental spiritual principles and methods from the Islamic guidance and practices.
The aim of this course is to provide students with both the conceptual and textual study of the structure of Islamic spiritual development and its applications in contemporary life. The course will explore the definition, history, principles, spiritual models and methods, and organization of Islamic spiritual growth. The following questions will also be addressed:
- What are the sources, function and characteristics of the divine spirituality in Islam?
- How can the Islamic spiritual framework be applied within the context of contemporary American Society?
- How can the Islamic spirituality contribute in developing spiritual and ethical individuals and societies?
This program is intended for every Muslim particularly those who are in leadership positions, those who are concerns with their spiritual development and societal reform, it is also available for non-Muslims who are interested in the Islamic perspective of spirituality and reform.
- To educate students about the function, traits and methods of the divine spiritual development in reforming individuals and societies.
- To instill within the students the characteristics of spiritual caregiver.
- To introduce students to the clinical practice of spirituality in the context of Muslim communities in the USA.
- To enhance the student’s ability to practice spiritual problem solving as it relates to contemporary life.
- To provide students with an academic opportunity to reflect collectively on the spiritual issues related to their surroundings and communities.
- To develop student’s skills to present and critique the different spiritual care views and experiences.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES
At the end of the course participants should be able to:
- Describe and explain the principles of Tazkiyyatun-Nafs analyzed from the Qur’an and Sunnah.
- Understand the importance of the Islamic system and the process of Tazkiyyatun-Nafs to improve all aspects of life.
- Adopt the role of the Muslim spiritual giver/taker within different contemporary contexts.
- Employ the acquired knowledge about the theory of Islamic spirituality independently.
- Evaluate and reflect on the spiritual issues related to their surroundings and communities.
- Create a comprehensive spiritual framework for all personal and organizational affairs.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTORS
Dr. Basyouny Nehela holds an M.A. in Fundamentals of Religion, and a Ph.D. with Honors in Da’wa and Islamic Culture, both from Al-Azhar University. He is currently the Dean of Academic Affairs and professor at Boston Islamic Seminary. Dr. Basyouny was previously an Associate professor at Qatar University’s Faculty of Sharia and Islamic Studies, Department of Islamic Creed and Da’wa, a faculty member at Al-Azhar University and Islamic American University, and Imam of the Islamic Society of Boston. Read More
Dr. Ayman Ibrahim
Dr. Ibrahim is a research physician interested in bioethics, intersection between science and religion, personal spiritual development, and spirituality in general. Dr. Ibrahim holds a degree in medicine, a postgraduate degree in Islamic studies, and completed various studies in management and Law. lectured in Islam and science and has numerous scholarly publications in those fields.
General admission: $150 per one course. Then, $100 for each additional course.
Students: $100 per one for all students (including BIS students). Then, $50 for each additional course.
Financial aid is also available for all courses. Please scroll down to find out more:
The Boston Islamic Seminary is committed to providing quality instruction to all, regardless of financial circumstances, through a generous financial aid program.