Title: Office Manager – Accountant
The Boston Islamic Seminary (BIS) is seeking a positive, organized and detail-oriented Office Manager – Accountant to run the daily accounting, book-keeping, policies and procedures, and plan for the future financial needs of the BIS. The Office Manager will be responsible for setting up the financial infrastructure and processes for the BIS as we ramp up as an independent 501c3. The successful candidate will also establish new accounting, reporting, financial, and policy procedures for the BIS’s future status as an independent entity. The ideal candidate will be a mid-career professional in accounting or finance and a self-starter who “gets things done.” We are seeking someone who can proactively identify gaps and risks, and develop procedures to make all BIS activities, including but not limited to, filing relevant documents with government agencies, taxes, etc.. This person should also be able to efficiently identify tasks and projects to be completed and diligently work through those tasks/projects creatively, solving problems as s/he goes and ensuring a solid footing for the BIS’s future corporate governance and financial operations. This role will report directly to the Dean of Administration and COO of BIS.
- Run day-to-day operations of the Finance department, including filing, report generation, budget review, etc.
- Create new internal accounting corporate policies and maintain existing policies
- Establish internal control systems to prevent inaccuracies in financial statements
- Implement and monitor the month, quarter and year-end closeout accounting schedules
- Maintain financial records by analyzing balance sheets and general ledger accounts
- Reconcile bank statements by comparing transactions to the general ledger
- Process bi-weekly payroll accurately and in a timely fashion
- Maintain accounting documents and records, ensuring all files are up to date
- Prepare bank deposits
- Ability to extract and manipulate data to create meaningful reports to help the BIS Leadership team forming and supporting decisions
- Coordinate and prepare for financial audits with the BIS Leadership Team
- Review financial data on a monthly basis and consult with the BIS Leadership Team about problems or discrepancies
- Monitor office expenses and tally and enter cash receipts
- Pay vendor invoices and track bank account balances
- Prepare annual tax returns, along with payroll, operating and business taxes
- Use financial modeling to simulate financial scenarios
- Present potential scenarios and outcomes to management team
- Follow up on donor pledges as needed
- Light filing and other office duties
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance or business administration
- 4-6 years of working experience in an accounting/finance role
- Quickbooks expert
- Familiarity with all Microsoft Office products, especially Excel.
- Experience developing and running operational processes
- Diligent, organized and detail oriented with excellent follow-through
- Ability to work with diverse people and personalities
- Leadership and management of a team
- Strong work ethic and ability to execute with minimal supervision
- Creative and resourceful, able to solve problems and create new approaches for issues that might be encountered
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including experience with public speaking
- Fluency in English required, familiarity with Arabic preferred
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
Full-time, Part-time, Internship*. For the internship purpose: It could be a full time and/or part time internship position for students available to work M-F, 9am-6pm from 4/1/2019-12/27/2019. Some weekends work possibly required.
About Boston Islamic Seminary
The Boston Islamic Seminary (BIS) is an institution of higher education that aims to train religious leaders who will serve the American Muslim community, to enhance the understanding of Islam
in the contemporary context among people of all backgrounds, to help communities navigate new issues and unforeseen circumstances with wisdom, integrity, and compassion. Based in Boston, MA.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Commitment to Diversity
As an equal opportunity employer, BIS hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.