Title: Office Manager – Accountant
Boston Islamic Seminary is seeking a positive, organized, and detail-oriented Finance Lead to run the daily accounting and book-keeping of the Seminary, and also plan for its future financial needs. The Finance Lead will be responsible for setting up the financial infrastructure and processes for the Seminary. The successful candidate will also establish new accounting and financial procedures for the Seminary’s future status as an independent entity. The ideal candidate will be a mid-career professional in accounting or finance and a self-starter who “gets things done.” We are seeking someone who can proactively identify gaps and risks, and develop procedures to make accounting and financial activities repeatable and reliable. This person should also be able to efficiently identify tasks and projects to be completed, and diligently work through those tasks/projects creatively, solving problems as s/he goes to ensure a solid footing for the Seminary’s future accounting and financial operations.
- Run day-to-day operations of the Finance department, including filing, report generation, budget review, etc.
- Create new internal accounting corporate policies and maintain existing policies.
- Establish internal control systems to prevent inaccuracies in financial statements.
- Implement and monitor the month, quarter and year-end closeout accounting schedules.
- Maintain financial records by analyzing balance sheets and general ledger accounts.
- Reconcile bank statements by comparing transactions to the general ledger.
- Process bi-weekly payrolls accurately and in a timely fashion.
- Maintain accounting documents and records, ensuring all files are up to date.
- Prepare bank deposits.
- Coordinate and prepare for financial audits with the CFO or Board.
- Monitor office expenses and tally and enter cash receipts.
- Pay vendor invoices and track bank account balances.
- Prepare annual tax returns, along with payroll, operating and business taxes.
- Use financial modeling to simulate financial scenarios.
- Present potential scenarios and outcomes to the management team.
- Follow up on donor pledges as needed.
- Light filing and other office duties.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business administration.
- 4-6 years of working experience in an accounting/finance role.
- Intermediate experience with GAAP principals including those for not-for-profit organizations.
- Familiarity with all Microsoft Office products.
- Experience developing and running operational processes.
- Team player with good interpersonal skills.
- Diligent, organized, and detail-oriented with excellent follow-through.
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem-solve.
- Ability to work with diverse people and personalities.
Full-time, Part-time, Internship*
*The Internship position is flexible to accommodate students. It could be a full-time or part-time position. Some weekend work possibly required.
The internship position provides students with real-life career experience, development of key and unique skills, and a letter of recommendation upon completion.
About Boston Islamic Seminary
The Boston Islamic Seminary is a graduate-level institution committed to training leaders to serve in all areas of society and who are capable of serving the unique needs of the American Muslim community.
With the help of Allah, we hope to be the institution that establishes the framework for developing Muslim religious leaders in America over the coming years, inshaAllah.
Commitment to Diversity
As an equal opportunity employer, BIS hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.