Title: Marketing Director
The Boston Islamic Seminary (BIS) is seeking a Marketing Director who will be responsible for defining an optimal brand position and strategy for BIS, and developing, executing, managing and measuring its effective implementation across BIS.
In collaboration with the Dean of Administration, and the BIS leadership team, the marketing director will be the chief brand champion for BIS, responsible for building consensus behind effective execution of the brand’s visual and voice expressions across the organization, and ensuring that long-term investments in marketing efforts are optimized to sustain the brand.
The marketing director will have direct experience in brand management, a deep understanding of brand development and execution, and the demonstrated ability to build consensus and momentum with diverse groups across BIS.
The marketing director will also have demonstrated experience in development and execution of effective marketing and communications strategies in other industries than higher education and be able to apply those skills and talents to their portfolio of work. This role will report directly to the Dean of Administration and COO of BIS.
- Analyzes BIS’s brand in the market and develops a brand strategy and position that increases awareness and support of BIS and its programs.
- Operates with high level of autonomous decision making and knows how to effectively collaborate with senior leaders to seamlessly advance BIS with important constituencies
- Cultivates and manages relationships with leadership and marketing professionals in BIS and its partners to drive effective BIS brand and marketing strategies and plans that build enrollment, increase donor and alumni participation, retain students and employees, and expand external support.
- Leads and directly supervises marketing staff members and resources.
- Leads strategy to communicate with BIS’s key stakeholders and donors to develop cross-channel, integrated marketing plans that consider owned and paid media, earned media, social media, digital media and influencer marketing.
- Partners with Dean of Academic Affairs and Director of Admissions and Students Affairs leadership on BIS’s marketing and branding to provide guidance and support to certificate programs and graduate recruitment and retention efforts.
- Serves as a member of the Marketing and Communications leadership committee and partners closely with fellow team members, to build and execute integrated campaigns that are part of the long-term brand strategy.
- Measures and reports on performance of all BIS branding and marketing campaigns; oversees staff in refining and updating plans. Oversees marketing budget and spend, and makes budget recommendations each fiscal year.
- Monitors market trends and competitors to identify opportunities for BIS’s positioning; uses existing data and conducts research to complete annual SWOT analysis to inform BIS’s branding and marketing strategy.
- In partnership with BIS leadership team, convenes and leads a Marketing Committee monthly, planning annual academic conferences, speakers, and programs. Develops feedback loop to measure results.
- Identify, recruit and hire freelance writers, editors, designers, videographers and social media experts as required
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing or related field; 10-plus years of experience in strategic marketing, branding or related field.
- Deep understanding of and experience with defining an organization’s optimal brand position and strategy, and developing, executing, managing and measuring its effective implementation.
- Excellent at fostering collaborative professional relationships and building consensus.
- Demonstrated ability to make independent decisions and exercise sound professional judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate strong relationships with senior leaders, administrators, deans, faculty, staff and student leaders and others throughout and outside the university.
- Demonstrated ability and maturity to work with sensitive information and use discretion.
- Proven ability to develop and execute an integrated marketing strategy with metrics for success.
- Strong research and analytical skills to forecast and identify trends and challenges.
- Demonstrated experience managing a diverse staff and creative team in a high-volume, fast-paced environment.
- Strong ability to express ideas and concepts concisely to a broad range of audiences who possess varying degrees of understanding.
- Excellent customer service skills with focus on exceptional follow-through.
- Proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively managing multiple priorities while maintaining adherence to deadlines and budgets.
- Demonstrated experience being resourceful, taking initiative, and being a committed team player with a goal-oriented attitude.
- Excellent writing, editing and presentation skills; clear and articulate communicator who can translate complex technical ideas easily.
- Computer proficient in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite products.
- Positive attitude and proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion.
- Exceptional organizational skills, detail-oriented and strong ability to multi-task and work on a cross-functional team.
- Proficiency to build and manage high-performance, highly collaborative teams.
- Ability to provide mentorship, coaching and feedback in a constructive manner.
- Experience in higher education, education, academic or non-profit setting highly desired.
Full-time, Part-time, Internship*. For the internship purpose: It could be a full time and/or part time internship position for students available to work M-F, 9am-6pm from 4/1/2019-12/27/2019. Some weekends work possibly required.
About Boston Islamic Seminary
The Boston Islamic Seminary (BIS) is an institution of higher education that aims to train religious leaders who will serve the American Muslim community, to enhance the understanding of Islam
in the contemporary context among people of all backgrounds, to help communities navigate new issues and unforeseen circumstances with wisdom, integrity, and compassion. Based in Boston, MA.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Commitment to Diversity
As an equal opportunity employer, BIS hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.