Title: Director of Admissions & Student Affairs
The Boston Islamic Seminary (BIS) is seeking a Director of Admissions & Student Affairs who will plan and direct BIS activities related to student services and campus life. The Director of Admissions & Student Affairs will work directly and closely with students as well as BIS staff members to direct, manage and coordinate student recruitment and admissions, health services, financial aid, housing, and social programs. The director also will work closely with the Dean of Academic Affairs to develop programs to ensure academic success and mentorship. The Director of Admissions & Student Affairs will serve as a point of information for students and must be available to respond to students’ needs. As we develop a cohort of graduates, the Director of Admissions & Student Affairs will also be required to develop career services and alumni programs to ensure that students are successful beyond graduation. This role will report directly to the Dean of Administration and COO of BIS.
- Lead the development and execution of Admissions & Student Affairs programs including but not limited to:
– Student Recruitment
– Admissions & Financial Aid
– Campus & Residential Life
– Student Health Services
– Extracurricular & Social Programming
– Academic Support
– Career Services
- Develops and maintains effective partnerships with Muslim Students Associations (MSA)’s, Islamic colleges, academic institutions and other feeder programs for the BIS
- Develops and maintains effective partnerships with potential career placement options such as Islamic Centers in the US, Masjids, Muslim non-profits organizations, etc.
- Develops relationships with potential and current students and supports the application and admissions process
- Create a Financial Aid Application system, to include guideline, reviews, assessments, committee, etc.
- Ensures and ease the process for BIS new students to secure housing and other related logistics
- Facilitates the development of student groups and initiatives
- Secures academic support for students as required or needed
- Develops social and extracurricular programming for students
- Participates in speaking engagements to promote the mission and goals of the BIS
- Works effectively and collaboratively with other BIS faculty and staff
- Develops and enforces policies and procedures for Student Services functions.
- Recommends improvements to policies and practices that support the BIS’s mission
- Investigates, reports on, and assists in the resolution of student, faculty, staff or community complaints and incidents.
- Participates in behavioral or academic intervention if and when needed.
- Maintains a safe and effective learning environment through conflict mediation, student counseling, and in consultation with building(s) safety, law enforcement, and mental health professionals.
- Ensures the protection and safe-keeping of confidential data acquired through the service of students.
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
- Master’s degree strongly preferred
- 3-5 years’ experience working with college students, ideally in a higher-education or Islamic setting
- Strong work ethic and ability to execute with minimal supervision
- Creative and resourceful, able to solve problems and create new approaches for issues that might be encountered
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including experience with public speaking
- Fluency in English required, familiarity with Arabic preferred
- Proven commitment to Islamic work
- Self-motivated and results-driven
- Ability to travel 10-15%
Full-time, Part-time, Internship*. For the internship purpose: It could be a full time and/or part time internship position for students available to work M-F, 9am-6pm from 4/1/2019-12/27/2019. Some weekends work possibly required.
About Boston Islamic Seminary
The Boston Islamic Seminary (BIS) is an institution of higher education that aims to train religious leaders who will serve the American Muslim community, to enhance the understanding of Islam
in the contemporary context among people of all backgrounds, to help communities navigate new issues and unforeseen circumstances with wisdom, integrity, and compassion. Based in Boston, MA.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Commitment to Diversity
As an equal opportunity employer, BIS hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.